By clicking this link for Quick Entry, you agree that you have read the event information carried on this page...
Organisers are keen to get everyone to Billy this year. It's the last conventinal distance Sydney swim of the season (South Head is May 16, but that's not for everyone). And to encourage you along, they're offering generous random draws of $250 each, to be given away during their presentation ceremony post-swims. There will be 4 prizes of $250 drawn randomly (you must be there to collect at the time). As well, Billy is offering prize money to winners: $500 to 1st M/F in the 1.5km swim, with $200 for 2nd M/F and $100 3rd M/F. In the 500m swim, prizes are $200, $100 and $50 M/F. That's $3,300 in prize money! That'll pay your squad fees for a while.
Two swims on the Sydney coast's most spectacular beach: 500m and 1.5km. Have a geek at Chris Ivin's video above. It really is that stunning. In 2021, Bilgola has been rescheduled to Sunday, April 18, following postponement from January 17 due to Covid-19. Be aware, there is a cap of 400 on this event due to the need to comply with Covid-19 restrictions. And all entries are online only, ie there will be no entries accepted on the beach on swim day. The starts will be staggered with just a couple of swimmers going off every few seconds.
The main event at Billie is 1.5km, following a polygonal course towards the northern headland, then back south, then back into the middle of the beach. The new, 500m (shorter than 800m in previous years) swim also is a circuit off the beach.
But don't be tricked: If there's a wave on, Billie can be difficult. It's a beautiful beach, but it can be a difficult beach break, with shifting banks, gutters, rips, peaks and shoulders.
Overall, a terrific day out, and a hotbed of ocean swimming culcha.
Things you need to know...
- Swim: Bilgola Ocean Swims
- Date, Time: Sunday, April 18, 2021 (pandemic permitting), start 9am (500m), 10am (1.5km)
- Organiser: Bilgola SLSC
- Where: Bilgola Beach, Sydney northern beaches
- Distances: 500m, 1.5km
- Prize money – 1.5km: 1st M/F – $500 each, 2nd M/F – $200 each, 3rd M/F – $100 each. 500m: 1st M/F – $200 each, 2nd M/F – $100 each, 3rd M/F $50 each.
- Random draws – Four x $250 each in random draws to swimmers present at the presentation ceremony. (You must be there to collect.)
- Minimum age: 15 (both swims)
- Course: The main swim starts in the middle of Bilgola beach, runs out through the break, heads towards the northern headland, then south towards the southern headland, then back in to finish near where it starts in the middle of the beach.
- Race day check-in: At Bilgola SLSC, from 8am to close 8:45am (800m) and 9:45am (1.5km). All entries are online only, ie there will be no entries accepted on the beach on swim day. The starts will be staggered with just a couple of swimmers going off every few seconds.
- Entry fee: $45 online for one swim, or for both swims (which is not a bad deal).
- Online entries close: 3pm, Saturday, April 17, 2021.
- Entries cap: Be aware, there is a cap of 400 on this event due to the need to comply with Covid-19 restrictions.
- Under 18 swimmers - Parents/guardians of swimmers aged under 18 must complete the online entry form, not the swimmers themselves. They must include their consent to the entry with full name and phone contact. Just a phone number, a first name, or a number and first name will not do. Entries of U18 swimmers are not complete without this complete parental/guardian consent. Entries of U18 swimmers must use the parent's email address, not that of the U18 entrant.
- Phone contact - Be sure to enter a valid Australian mobile number with your entry online. Organisers may decide to send sms messages to entrants advising of changes to event arrangments. If you don't leave a valid Australian mobile number, you won't receive them.
- Transport: You can catch a bus to Billie (Route L90 runs from Wynyard: 8:13am from Stand C on Sunday, getting you to Billie (9:15am) in time for the 1.5km, but not in time for the 500m).
- Parking: If you drive, you should park in the special event parking area at Porter Reserve, North Newport, in Burke St off Barrenjoey Rd, then catch the free shuttle to Billie beach. If you park at the beach, parking will be very congested. And be warned: the new Northern Beaches Council has abandoned the policy of the previous Pittwater Council of allowing free parking on swim days. Now, only those with Council stickers will receive free parking. Everyone else -- all of us great unwashed from outside the local gummint area -- will have to pay, as per the signs on the kerb.
- More info - Download hard copy entry form (PDF file)... Coming soon
- Progress entries - Check progress online entries... Click here
Please read this: Any problems you encounter in entering this event online are likely to be caused by browser conflicts. If you run into problems, please try using a different browser, or a later version of your browser, or try from a different PC. Remember, do not enter or pay for this swim twice. If you run into problems that you can't resolve with this advice, email us and we'll sort it out. Refunds are available only prior to close of online entries, and are subject to an admin fee of $10. After you've entered, check the progress online entries list (link above or under swims/progress entries) to make sure your entry has been recorded correctly. If your confirmation email doesn't turn up, check your Spam and Trash folders. A $2.50 service fee attaches to all online entries at check-out.
We take Visa and Mastercard only.
To enter this event... Click here
Where it is...