Shark Island Swim Classic
Shark Island awgies ar running again on the first Sunday in February, which means they're running on the same day as the Cole Classic @ Manly. But this is a local swim with a strong local identity, so its followers may well be pleased.
Shark Island is a lovely swim around an exposed reef off Cronulla beach in Sydney's southern suburbs, the Sutherland Shire. Two distances on offer: 1km and the main event around Shark Island of 2.3km. This was one of the first events in Australia to offer two distances, the shorter swim offering both an easier, entry level swim to new swimmers, and a warm-up for the main event to more "seasoned" swimmers.
- Date, time - Sunday, February 7, 2021, from 9:30am
- Location - Cronulla, southern beaches
- Manager - Cronulla SLSC
- Swim type - Surf beach
- Distances - 1km, 2km
- Minimum age - 13 (2.3km), 10 (1km)
- Wetsuits - Swimmers must wear only conventional swimming costumes made from lycra and/or polyester. Costumes must contain no neoprene or any other ‘high tech’ material or substance or any material with any flotation support. Male swimmers must wear only briefs with no arms, legs or any part of the costume covering their body above the waist. Female swimmers must wear either one or two piece costumes with no arms or legs. Wetsuits can be worn but you will not be eligible for any prizes.
- Access (assistance for swimmers with disability) - Disabled assistance is available for entry/exit of water for both swims. Please request this assistance when signing in on the day or call Scott on 0414 242 244 to arrange this at least 30 mins prior to race start.
- More info and to enter... Click here
Where it is...