By clicking this link for Quick Entry, you agree that you have read the event information carried on this page...
The Roughwater, North Bondi
The first of the two North Bondi classics…
Everyone must swim Bondi during the season, and the two North Bondi swims give you the opportunity to swim there twice with Combo entries offering very good value per swim.
Two distances - 2km (10:30am) and 1km (9:15am). In 2021, you may do only one swim each day, due to Covid-19 restrictions (it's to do with crowd management). It's cheaper it's cheaper if you sign up now for both The Roughwater on Sunday, January 10, and the North Bondi Classic on Sunday, February 14, using the Combo entry option below. Note that entries to this event are on-line only.
Things you need to know...
- Event - The Roughwater, North Bondi
- Organiser - North Bondi SLSC
- Distance - 2km (min. age 14), 1km (min. age 10)
- Venue - North Bondi, Sydney eastern suburbs, registration and swim HQ at surf club
- Time/Date - Sunday, January 10, 2021, 9:15am (1km), 10:30am (2km)
- Registration - race day - 8am until 15 minutes prior to the start of your first event
- Entry fee - Basic entry $40 for either swim. Note that entries to this event are on-line only.
- Covid-19 restrictions – Note that, due to Covid-19 restrictions, it is not permissible to do both swims, unfortunately. Swimmers who seek to get around this ruling by entering each swim separately will have their 2nd entry withdrawn and the entry fee refunded (less a $10 admin fee). Note that entries to this event are on-line only. Note also that there may be a cap placed on entries to this event as NSW Government Covid-19 requirements dictate. Best not to leave your entry till the last minute.
- Covid-19 arrangements – In light of Covid-19 concerns, both events will be run with 'rolling starts', ie smaller starting waves starting at intervals to maintain social distancing. There will be no Elite/Open starting wave. All swimmers will start in their age group waves, but faster swimmers are asked to 'self-seed' by placing themselves at the front of their age group waves.
- Combo entry - North Bondi swims on both January 10 and February 14 - $70 for one swim each day.
- Back of the Pack - These swims offer Back of the Pack for swimmers who prefer to swim with aids such as fins, snorkels and wetsuits. If you intend to swim with such an aid, please choose the Back of the Pack in the online entry portal.
- Wetsuit policy - Organisers say, "If the water temperature is below 18 degrees on the day of the swim, then the organisers will allow participants to wear wetsuits in all categories. The water temperature will be taken by the Bondi Lifeguards in the morning. In regard to speed suits, we will only allow FINA approved suits to be worn, even if the water temp is below 18 degrees."
- Online entries close - 4pm, Saturday, January 9, 2021 – Note that on-line entry closing time is an hour later than usual.
- Under 18 swimmers - Parents/guardians of swimmers aged under 18 must complete the online entry form, not the swimmers themselves. They must include their consent to the entry with full name and phone contact. Just a phone number, a first name, or a number and first name will not do. Entries of U18 swimmers are not complete without this complete parental/guardian consent. Entries of U18 swimmers must use the parent's email, address, not that of the U18 entrant.
- Conditions - Bondi beach faces sou'-sou'-east and takes a wave, with shifting banks, gutters and rips. Many of you will have seen this on the telly, although usually there's hardly a wave when they put those cameras on the rescue mals. But North Bondi sits in a relatively gentle corner of the beach, protected by Ben Buckler, the northern headland and rock shelf. There's usually a strong run-out right in the corner, which is useful for getting through the break. But stay away from that run-out on the way back in. It means, though, that both the start and finish at North Bondi generally a relatively benign. Sure, there are banks and gutters, but not as severe as farther towards the other end of the beach.
- Mimimum age - 10 (1km) and 14 (2km)
- More info - TBA
- Check progress entries - To check a list of progress online entries... Click here
- All swimmers must swim the prescribed course and ensure that their name is marked off the official entrants register at the conclusion of the The Roughwater swim even if they do not
complete the course.
- Swimmers must swim in the category for which they are eligible.
- All swimmers must wear their prescribed cap, race number and timing device.
- A swimmer may not use extraneous aids eg. flippers, snorkels or flotation clothing (including wetsuits* please refer Wet Suit Policy) or devices (unless they are entered in the Back of the Pack Group).
- Any swimmer accompanying an under 15 year aged swimmer will not be eligible for a prize or qualify as an official placegetter.
- All swimmers are to behave in a fair and sportsmanlike manner without interference or aggression towards other competitors and any breach of this rule may result in disqualification from the The Roughwater swim.
- If in the opinion of an event medical officer or a water safety official a competitor is physically or otherwise incapable of starting or completing the The Roughwater swim or has been in the water for an inordinate time such competitor may be disqualified from starting or be removed from the water at any time.
- If in the opinion of the Race Referee the weather or swimming conditions are dangerous or unsuitable the The Roughwater swim may be cancelled without notice.
- Prize winners must be present to receive their prize.
- The decision of the Race Referee is final. Any protests must be made in writing to the Race Referee within 30 minutes of the completion of the Event.
Please read this first: Any problems you encounter in entering this event are likely to be caused by browser conflicts. Don't hit the Submit button more than once: you will be charged each time you press it. If you run into problems, if your entry appears to fail, don't try to enter again until you have checked the progress entries list (there's a link to this above), and check your card statement to see whether a charge has been debited. If your confirmation email doesn't turn up, check your Spam and Trash folders. If all these checks return negatives, it's probably safe to try again. But ensure you have the most recent version of your browser, or use a different browser, or try from a different computer. If there's still a problem, email us and we'll try to sort it out. Refunds are available prior to close of online entries and are subject to an administration fee of $10. All online entries attract a service fee of $2.50 at check-out.
We take Visa and Mastercard only.
To enter this event... Click here
Where it is...