By clicking this link for Quick Entry, you agree that you have read the event information carried on this page...
Australia Day Newcastle Harbour Swim
This classic swim is in its 24th edition and returns as perhaps the richest open water swim in Australia, with prizemoney of $3,500 split amongst the overall fastest, males and females. Winner gets $1,000, 2nd receives $500, and 3rd $250. That's an invaluable contribution to squad fees. This is why, a few years back, we'd arrive at Newcastle Harbour to find a sub-peloton of some of the best open water swimmers in the world, including world champions, waiting to plunge into Newcastle Harbour., just as we'd yearned to do as little tacs waiting for the Stockton ferry on a hot summer Sunday.
Things you should know...
- Event - 24th Australia Day Newcastle Harbour Swim
- Organiser and beneficiary - Stockton Surf Life Saving Club (SLSC)
- Distances - 1.4km (Double Crossing), 700m (Single Crossing). Single Crossing (from Stockton to Newcastle) is a social swim. Age minimum 12 years. Double Crossing (from Newcastle to Stockton and back) is 1400m and has a minimum age of 14. It features prize money for the fastest three male and female swimmers. All swims are timed and swim times can be checked after the event.
- Venue - Stockton to Newcastle Swim first (Single Crossing). Starts at the Stockton Ferry Wharf (in the water) and finishes in the Queens Wharf Quay. Newcastle to Stockton and back (Double Crossing) follows. Starts at Queens Wharf in Newcastle (in the water), crosses the Hunter River, goes around a string of cairns in front of Stockton Ferry Wharf, and back across the Harbour to Queens Wharf Quay.
- Time/Date - Sunday, January 26, 2020, 10am (Single Crossing from Stockton side), then 11am (Double Crossing from Newcastle side, Queens Wharf).
- Ferries pre-race - Ferries taking swimmers to the start of the 700m at Stockton will leave Newcastle side every 20 minutes from 8:30am.
- Prizes - In the main event, 1st - $1,000 M/F, 2nd - $500, 3rd - 250. Quality, non-cash prizes for all the Category podium finishers (including 12-13 year olds on their Single Crossing). All entrants can get a Certificate on completion of the swim. All swimmers will get get to keep their quality silicone event swim cap. Podium finishers must swim un-assisted (no flippers or other aids such as wet suits or pull buoys).
- Categories - Kids 12-13 (Single Crossing only), Juniors 14-15, Future Hot Shots 16-19, Opens 20-29, 4ever Young Hot Shots 30-39, Junior Masters 40-49, Masters 50-59, Grand Masters over 60.
- Registration - Online here, or on race day (cash or card) until half hour before your event.
- Entry fee - Ages 14+ - $55 for the main event or for both swims (the Double Crossing and/or single crossing). Single crossing $35 for 14+ or $25 12-13. Family entries please contact organisers... See below
- Event t-shirt - Full colour print T-shirt or loose style singlet $25 for swimmers, or $35 for non-swimmers. If you wish to order event t-shirts separately from entering the swim... Click here
- Online entries close - 3pm, Saturday, January 25, 2020
- Under 18 swimmers - Parents/guardians of swimmers aged under 18 must complete the online entry form, not the swimmers themselves. Parents/guardians must include their consent to the entry with full name and phone contact. Just a phone number, a first name, or a number and first name, or even just a surname, will not do and entries will not be accepted. Entries of U18 swimmers are not complete without this complete parental/guardian consent. Entries of U18 swimmers must use the parent's email address, not that of the U18 entrant.
- Conditions - It's a Harbour Swim and not affected by swell but it is influenced by tidal currents. The 2020 Swims will be on pretty much full tide and thus minimal to small currents (high tide at 10.11am). Please listen carefully to pre-race instructions.
- Minimum age - 12 (700m), 14 (1.4km)
- Donations - You can make additional donations to Stockton SLSC while entering online. Such additional donations are tax deductible.
- More info - Download the entry form... Click here... or email Callan Nickerson... Click here… or Daniel Danuser... Click here... Or phone Daniel on 02 4929 1451 (work hours).
- Progress online entries - To check progress entries online... Click here
Please read this first: Any problems you encounter in entering this event are likely to be caused by browser conflicts. Don't hit the Submit button more than once: you will be charged each time you press it. If you run into problems, if your entry appears to fail, don't try to enter again until you have checked the progress entries list (there's a link to this above), and check your card statement to see whether a charge has been debited. If your confirmation email doesn't turn up, check your Spam and Trash folders. If all these checks return negatives, it's probably safe to try again. But ensure you have the most recent version of your browser, or use a different browser, or try from a different computer. If there's still a problem, email us and we'll try to sort it out. Refunds are available prior to close of online entries and are subject to an administration fee of $10. A service fee of $2.50 attaches to all online entries at check-out.
We take Visa and Mastercard only.
Enter this event now... Click here
Where it is...