STOP PRESS (Sunday, March 15): This event has been cancelled for this season due to coronavirus concerns. All entries to date roll over to next season (date TBC).
By clicking this link for Quick Entry, you agree that you have read the event information carried on this page...
Commotion in the Ocean
A much earlier date for this event from the last few seasons, now in March rather than late April.
One of our favourite swims: Caves Beach is our alma mater; it's a fast, generally gentle course, with a lulling swell rocking you from side to side if it has any height on the day. If the water is clear on race day, you'll have a view of the sandy, rocky reef most of the way along. Course runs along the reef, then into "Narkindie Boonah" (The Beach of the Caves).
What you need to know...
- Event - Commotion in the Ocean - Caves Beach SLSC Ocean Swim
- Organiser - Caves Beach SLSC
- Distance - 1.5km
- Venue - Caves Beach, via Swansea, at the entrance to Lake Macquarie
- Course - From the foot of Spoon Rocks breakwater, along the reef and into Caves Beach. Start is a 15-minute walk from the beach, and you need to allow for this time in your arrival. Registration closes at 9am for a 10am start.
- Date/Time - Saturday, March 21, 2020, 10am
- Registration - 7:30am-9am at Caves Beach surf clubhouse
- Swim caps - In the interests of conservation, organisers ask all swimmers to bring their own swim caps to wear in this swim. They ask that caps be of a hi-vis/fluoro colour, to aid visibility.
- Entry fee - $40 ($50 on race day)
- Categories - Basically 10-year age groups to 60+, and Back of the Pack (a category for those who use swim aids, such as fins, or wear a wetsuit).
- Disability - Facilities available on request to transport swimmers with disabilities to the start line. Please contact Race Organiser (contact below).
- Transport and personal possessions - Back drop off available at surf clubhouse. Shuttle bus operates from registration to path above start (it's an easy walk anyway).
- Online entries close - 3pm, Friday, March 20, 2020
- Under 18 swimmers - Parents/guardians of swimmers aged under 18 must complete the online entry form, not the swimmers themselves. They must include their consent to the entry with full name and phone contact, entered into the Emergency contact fields. Just a phone number, a first name, or a number and first name will not do. Entries of U18 swimmers without this complete parental/guardian consent will not be accepted. Entries of U18 swimmers also must use parent's email address, not that of the U18 swimmer.
- Conditions - Sheltered start in the lee of the breakwater with a gentle break. Most of the swim runs along the reef, thus the swell will roll through sideways as you swim. Finish in through the surf at Caves, which generally is not a difficult break.
- Mimimum age - 12
- Progress entries list - Check progress online entries... Click here
- More info - Call Troy Grieves (Race Organiser) email or ph 0437 931 500, Lisa Slade 0466 323 387 or Brendan Curran 0437 864 816
Please read this first: Any problems you encounter in entering this event are likely to be caused by browser conflicts. Don't hit the Submit button more than once: you will be charged each time you press it. If you run into problems, if your entry appears to fail, don't try to enter again until you have checked the progress entries list (there's a link to this above), and check your card statement to see whether a charge has been debited. If your confirmation email doesn't turn up, check your Spam and Trash folders. If all these checks return negatives, it's probably safe to try again. But ensure you have the most recent version of your browser, or use a different browser, or try from a different computer. If there's still a problem, email us and we'll try to sort it out. Refunds are available prior to close of online entries and are subject to an administration fee of $10. A $2.50 service fee attaches to all online entries at check-out.
To enter this swim now... Click here
Where it is...