The Bondi Icebergs and its pool, where the awgie of this swim, Neil Rogers, coaches early morning squads. You'll swim past this icon of Strãan lifestyle as you schlepp past 5 beaches from Coogee to Bondi.
Stop Press (Tue, Apr 6, 2021, 15:00): This swim has been cancelled, regretfully by the organiser, due to a failure to resolve approval issues with local councils. All entries roll-over to the next swim date, probably in season 2021/22. Entrants will be sent an email on Wed, Apr 7, with information. Organisers thank entrants for their support, and all swimmers for their interest, and apologise for inconvenience caused.
By clicking this link for Quick Entry, you agree that you have read the event information carried on this page...
Not for everyone
5 Beaches Swim
A new date for this event, on its 4th outing as the reborn Coogee-Bondi swim. Instead of pre-Xmas, early April should be a much better time to swim northwards from Coogee past five beaches to Bondi. The April date may well serve up smooth seas with a gentle offshore breeze, with warmer water than afforded by the previous December date. That said, organisers encourage wetsuits, although 1st place still will go to the first newd swimmers M/F.
This swim is run by Eastern Suburbs swim coach and Olympian, Neil Rogers. It is a genuine "epic".
Note that, like all Covid-19-era swims, this event depends on conditions on the day and around that time, in terms of permissible events. Entries may be capped and will not open till there is greater certainty.
Open to swimmers aged 18 and over. Maximum 300 swimmers, with the qualification that this is not a swim for "beginners". See below for more...
Things you should know...
- Event - 5 Beaches Swim (Coogee-Bondi)
- Organiser - Neil Rogers
- Distance - 4.5 km
- Venue - Registration and start at Coogee, follows the coastline to Bondi. Start at northern end of Coogee beach, finishing at northern end of Bondi in front of North Bondi surf club.
- Time/Date - Saturday April 10, 2021, start 8 am
- Registration - Race Day at the northern end of Coogee beach. Finish at North Bondi, where a post-swim function will be held (TBC). (Note: No new entries on swim day. All entries must be online by 3pm Friday, April 9, 2021.)
- Entry limit - 300 swimmers - Entries online only. No entries will be accepted on race day. See below for online entry closure.
- Entry fee - $100
- Roll-over entries from 2020 - Click here
- Online entries close - 3pm, Friday, April 9, 2021 (Absolutely no entries accepted on race day or other than online due to government public health regulations.)
- Roll-over entries from 2020 - If you entered the cancelled event in 2020, check our list of roll-over entries before your enter again... Click here
- Conditions – Coogee offers a relatively gentle start. The rest of the swim takes place in deep water, provided you don't stray too far in over rock shelves, eg off Mackenzies Point. Beach break at Bondi to finish. Conditions depend very much on the orientation of swell, chop and wind on race day. If there is a nor'-easter in early, it could be a tough swim. It should be a little early for that, however. A sou'easter would provide a nice push and would never be in your face. Start time is planned to avoid sea breeze as much as possible.
- Minimum age - 18
- Swimmer's capability - This is not a swim for beginners. If you have done a swim of this distance before, or you can swim a kilometre in 17:30 or quicker, then this swim should suit you. If you swim slower than 17:30 per kilometre, then this is not the swim for you. This is a matter not just of personal safety, but also that of the event's water safety staff.
- Prizes - 1st Male/Female receive bowls by Celeste, of Celestial Ceramics, and designed by awgie Coach Neil Rogers and his daughter, Kelly Rutherford (that's Coach Rogers, at right, with previous winner, Isabella Coghlan).
- Wetsuits - Organisers encourage the wearing of wetsuits, although wetties are not compulsory. Wettie wearers will be given official times, but they will not be awarded line honours.
- Swimmer escorts - Swimmers are welcome to swim with an escort paddler (ski, SUP, mal).
- Phone contact - Be sure to enter a valid Australian mobile number with your entry online. Organisers may decide to send sms messages to entrants advising of changes to event arrangments. If you don't leave a valid Australian mobile number, you won't be notified of changes or other developments with this swim.
- Wetsuits - Wetties are allowed in this event, but are not eligible for the top three places.
- Bag drop - There will be a bag drop at Coogee to transport swimmers' gear to the finish at North Bondi.
- More info - Email Neil Rogers... Click here... or phone 0407 910 205
- Progress online entries - To check progress entries online... Click here
- Roll-over entries from 2020 - See Progress entries list
Please read this: Any problems you encounter in entering this event online are likely to be caused by browser conflicts. If you run into problems, please try using a different browser, or a later version of your browser, or try from a different PC. Remember, do not enter or pay for this swim twice. If you run into problems that you can't resolve with this advice, email us and we'll sort it out. Refunds are available only prior to close of online entries, and are subject to an admin fee of $10. After you've entered, check the progress online entries list (link above or under swims/progress entries) to make sure your entry has been recorded correctly. If your confirmation email doesn't turn up, check your Spam and Trash folders. A non-refundable service fee of $2.50 will be added to your entry payment.
We accept Visa and Mastercard only.
Enter this event now... Click here
Where it is...